Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Thinking about Repentence...

We all make mistakes. No matter how hard we try, there will be times that we fall short. I was thinking about that this morning as I was studying my scriptures. I came across a scripture in the Book of Mormon, and realized how important repentence is. Alma, a prophet of God, is teaching members of God's church in a land called Gideon and he is speaking of God and says,"And he doth not dwell in unholy temples; neither can filthiness or anything which is unclean be received into the kingdom of God... and it shall be at the last day, that he who is filthy shall remain in his filthiness." (Alma 7:21) So, why is this an issue? Why can't we be unclean? Picture this... You just get home from a soccer game. It was rainy, it was muddy, and you are dripping dirty water. You walk into a beautiful home with elaborate white carpet and furniture. Everything is perfectly clean. Are you going to feel comfortable? Of course not. And it is the same with the kingdom of God.
So, how do we become clean? There is only one way, and that is to repent. Repentence is not optional, it is a commandment! Through Isaih the prophet, the Lord gives us a promise "though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow". (Isiah 1:18) It is through repentence and the great sacrafice of the Savior that our red bright sins can be washed clean.
I am so grateful for the opportunity to change and to repent. I have made mistakes in my life, in fact, I probably make them daily, but I know that if I sincerely try to become better and repent, I can receive forgiveness. I have felt God's love in my life as I have made these changes. It is one of the greatest gifts that God has given us. I love Him.
Learn more about repentence at mormon.org

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this message. There is nothing like the happiness and peace that comes by relying on Jesus Christ's Atonement to repent and become clean. It's a daily process but through Christ's atonement we can overcome our weaknesses and vices - born again, new people with new hearts.

    ReplyDelete